Follow

So apparently the UPS for the 20+ tonne scenery lift at workplace #1 exploded today. Inergen system went off, firies in oxygen masks, and the smell of fried lead acid battery all the way through the place.

@ljwrites luckily it was a Sunday in Easter weekend, so the venue was empty. But even if there had been people in the venue, it would been a safe evacuation. The UPS in question is housed in a specific enclosed area with pressurised inert gas fire-suppression system. It’s just the first time in my employment that it has actually had to do its job.

@s0 it's for this one time that it was necessary, I guess :blobcat0_0: And even with no one there the system may have prevented further property damage, too. So glad no one was hurt!

@s0 Wow, sounds very dramatic (I'm not sure that's the right word).
I hope that despite this there is no major damage, and no personal damage.
Do you know the cause? I had lead batteries as one of the safest (I want to make an UPS and now I'm a little scared).

@RileyStarlight they are definitely considered very safe. This is a niche-purpose and large-scale installation and whatever issues there were are unlikely to be at all applicable to your personal risk assessment

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Cathode Church

A place for trans makers, coders, tinkerers and dreamers.