Show newer

I admit this is 75% “buy dozens of spare DC PSUs for every conceivable voltage” but the other 25% is cool too, like noticing a particular switch on some new equipment that feels a bit under-specced for it’s expected usage, and buying several spares, or seeing the way some equipment is handled and pre-emptively gluing parts on that seem likely to loosen and fall off

Show thread

I’ve also never really been in a position that made use of or rewarded my strategic foresight. But now I have the authority to buy things in preparation, knowing that they will save our asses *sometime* in the future and have that pay off repeatedly by having just the thing when it’s unexpectedly needed. :blobcat_nwn:

Show thread

I love my job because there are so many different complex, interconnected systems and networks that I can be autistic at one of them every week or two and I still won’t get to them all for years

My current electric wheelchair is worn out and actively dangerous, and so unreliable I don’t trust it to even work. I’ve started a gofundme to buy a new lightweight modern one. I’ll be grateful for any donations, or just a share if that’s what you can do.

gofund.me/f65e367e

This absolutely fascinating. A "lost" and possibly accidental method of making a solar panel 40 years earlier than previously believed and significantly more sustainable to build as well as totally recyclable.
solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2021

Just over 3 hours, and over 3,000 responses, I cannot

I'm hiding behind a cushion

That's 15 responses to the survey per minute :o

RT @gendercensus@twitter.com

The ninth annual international Gender Census 2022 is now open until 13th August 2022!

survey.gendercensus.com

It's for anyone whose gender (or lack thereof) isn't described by the M/F binary. It's short and easy, and results are useful in academia, business and self-advocacy.

🐦🔗: twitter.com/gendercensus/statu

So I had heard about SOCKS proxies in the past, but never actually looked into them. They’re basically magic, and super easy to use. You tunnel all your web traffic over SSH to another server… the end result is you are now browsing from somewhere else, like a VPN but easier.

I was going to write a blog post, but this one spells it out just fine. Give it a read, and if you have a machine you can SSH into, give it a shot! ma.ttias.be/socks-proxy-linux-

Show thread

I think I figured out what keeps happening with my email address and it’s annoying.

I think some companies computer systems have email validators that try to be clever, but don't have all the Australian 2LDs in them.

The validator sees .id and goes "oh, it's the ccTLD for Indonesia!"

Then it sees .au and goes "oh, it's the ccTLD for Australia! Hang on, we already have a ccTLD! This email address is wrong!!"

IT'S NOT WRONG, YOU PIECE OF SHIT COMPUTER

There's something interesting in the way well-meaning cis people will sometimes hesitate to refer to someone's transness. It's like they see the fierceness with which pronouns are respected, deadnames maligned, medical access fought for etc and infer that it's our transness itself that is abhorrent to us, when that isn't the case at all.

covid mask-wearing 

(To the tune of ‘99 bottles of beer on the wall’) 🎵
Nobody’s wearing a mask on the bus,
Nobody’s wearing a mask.
One goes down,
They pass it around,
Nobody’s wearing a mask on the bus. 🎵

Any local pals want a brand new Samsung 980 500GB NVMe M.2 drive for cheap? Realised it’s actually not compatible with my new-old laptop after all after buying it :/
Or even better if you have an M2 SATA/PCIe-AHCI drive you’d be happy to swap for it :blobhaj_smile:

And yes

We all hate Google

We all hate Zoom

But we tried to get some FOSS bros to help us by hosting our talks on a Jitsi instance while we were planning because we wanted transcripts

Won't name them

They quoted us $1000

Our budget is $0

Fuck FOSS bros

Show thread

Like take whatever measures that help you reduce your and others' exposure to surveillance, share information, give advice and organize, that's all great work! But don't assume others who use insecure corporate services are ignorant sinners in need of a sermon and conversion. Harassing people who are just trying to live and organize, doing some little good in a horrible world, does Not make anyone safer or more secure.

Show thread

I need every infosec person to understand that surveillance capitalism is structural, not individual, and we are not going to ethically-consume our way out of it please and thank

Showing each other your labeled storage tub system is a key autistic love language

anglo cis people are literally the worst type of people you can pick to develop software features that handle names yet here we are

Show older
Cathode Church

A place for trans makers, coders, tinkerers and dreamers.